African Photojournalism Database
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
My name is Maheder Haileselassie and I am a self-taught photographer based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia who was originally trained as a Civil Engineer.
My inspiration of telling stories comes from a spark of ideas that has to do with memories, experience, history and identity of myself and other people I engage with every day.
I have freelanced for major news agencies like AFP, Reuters and Mongabay and my work regarding a safe house for women was published on the guardian UK.
In addition, I am also part of Women Photograph and my work “Awramba, a collective community” was published this year in a book Mfon: Women Photographers of the African Diaspora.
Moreover, I recently founded Center for Photography in Ethiopia (CPE), a learning and discussion platform for Ethiopian Photographers and I’m also a contributor for @everydayafrica on instagram.
I have since participated in exhibitions such as:
• “Stories”, (Egypt, 2017)
• “Inspiring women”, Goethe Institute (Ethiopia, 2017)
• World Press Photo, (Zimbabwe, 2017)
• “Photojournalists in Conflict”, WPFD Celebration (Helsinki, 2016),
• “In Quest for”, Goethe-Institute (Ethiopia, 2016 & Kampala, 2017 ),
• “Intangible Cultural Heritages”, UN ECA Hall (Ethiopia, 2016)
• Addis Foto Fest (Ethiopia, 2016)
• Tales on Ethiopia (Italy, 2016)
- Still life
- Video capture