Mark Winfield Wetherbee
High Bridge, NJ, USA
My photojournalism maxims:
1. Empty your cup: Excise ego, prejudices, and expectations to see the whole story.
2. Look for patterns: Seek connections, consequences, and historical antecedents.
3. Be a field ghost: The behavior of people changes under observation.
4. Prove me wrong: Be receptive to good criticism based on intent and objective.
5. Be authentic: The worst told truth is better than the best told lie.
6. Resist staging: Get ahead of a moment to catch it, not behind it to push it.
7. Two is one; one is none: Use materials unorthodoxly to encourage creativity.
8. Scale and scope: Every one thing is measured in terms of some other thing.
9. All for one; one for all: Support the crew but be steadfast when alone.
But most of all, remember that it’s not the hardware—it’s how hard you wear, so:
10. There is no "camera."
- Breaking news
- Still life